1.7

Update by user Jul 28, 2017

I'm that annoying, squeaky wheel that can only get louder.

Original review posted by user Jul 27, 2017

Bought a home (new construction) in '09 with Alside single-hung windows. After 5 years one of them started fogging up when the low-e reflective coating started to corrode.

Now I have 5 windows that are hazy and fogged up. Parent company AMI has no intention of honoring the warranty and is doing everything they can to wiggle out of its legal obligations. The Warranty Services dept. stonewalls its customers and reflexively asks for more information: more photos, more serial numbers, a copy of the PO from the builder, the bill of materials, a copy of the deed to prove I'm the owner, the installer's high school diploma, my blood type...

anything to drag out the process until I just give up. Yet my warranty says I only need to provide name of contractor, proof of purchase and proof of property ownership as requested to be eligible for warranty coverage. I'm genuinely worried that all these windows will fail in the next few years. That's what's known in the industry as a "serial defect" where every glass unit manufactured around that time is destined to fail prematurely due to design problems or substandard materials.

Most reputable companies will voluntarily extend the warranty coverage in these cases, but that would require AMI to admit there's a potential serial defect. AMI and their equity firm Hellman & Friedman will never do that. AMI doesn't seem to care about its reputation in the market nor the equity of the Alside brand; it only cares about keeping costs low, selling more windows and remaining in business. That's challenging because paying warranty claims increases Costs of Sales, which reduces Gross Profit.

The CEO and leadership are incentivized via bonuses and stock options to minimize warranty claim costs and maximize profit. And admitting a serial defect would increase the number of claims and further hurt their bond rating. Talk about rewarding bad behavior! There's blood in the water.

I know of at least two class action lawsuits against AMI/Alside but they retain well-paid lawyers (liars?) that delay justice and file motions to keep things tied up in the courts for years. I have a really strong case so I'm consulting w/ an attorney to sue AMI in civil court.

I'd advise everybody that's due fair compensation to do the same before AMI becomes insolvent. Don't let them get away with it.

Product or Service Mentioned: Alside Window Window.

Reason of review: Warranty issue.

Preferred solution: Let the company propose a solution.

I didn't like: Seal failure, Will not stand behind product.

Company wrote 0 private or public responses to the review from Jul 27, 2017.

Comments

Thinking of buying this product. Mainly b/c of affordability and quality sales pitch.

Install company claims they have a separate lifetime warranty that supersedes the manufacturer's. Not sure....

Alside

Hi, if you'd like to send us your contact information we'd be happy to be in touch.

GregDrs
to Alside #1378780

I've been in touch with your Warranty Claims people a half dozen times going back to December 2016, and I've filed two separate warranty claims. I've sent e-mail and letters, & the most recent was sent certified mail.

You know who I am. AMI's responses to date have demonstrated that you are not at all "happy to be in touch".

The opportunities for amicable dialog have already passed. You may communicate with me via this forum, or send me a letter -- you have my contact details.